The Witcher | Official Teaser | Netflix

For fantasy film, TV, and music. No Game of Thrones spoilers please.
danjvelker
Site Admin

Administrator

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

The Witcher | Official Teaser | Netflix

Post by danjvelker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:10 pm

The Witcher is one of the richest fantasy series in the world, and I've been following news of its Netflix adaptation eagerly. The series has tremendous depth and poignancy, along with enthralling action and truly otherworldly vision. The first teaser trailer just dropped, and if you haven't seen it yet then you're probably living under a rock. Here are my thoughts:
  • The production quality looks mostly amazing. It's pleasant to see a fantasy series (other than Lord of the Rings and a Game of Thrones) take magic and fantasy elements seriously, without coming across as juvenile or silly. This looks epic, mature, and very real. On aesthetic alone, I am very pleased - although I hope it isn't all so gray.
  • I'm totally sold on Henry Cavill and Freya Allan as Geralt and Ciri. I'm completely in love with these two and have the highest hopes for their roles. It's going to be interesting to see Cavill express both the fierce and nurturing sides of Geralt, and I'm excited to see how Freya plays off of that. I'm withholding judgement on the other actors and actresses (of whom I have some concerns) until we see more of them.
  • As a strict adaptation of the book series, I have a lot of reservations about the changes they're making. I'm a pretty die-hard fan of the books -- they're some of the biggest influences on my writing -- and I would be reassured to see more of Sapkowski's original vision peering through the cracks of this trailer, which is action-heavy and focuses on a spread of characters rather than our core trio. However...
  • ...as a creative reinvention of a developing property, I'm in eager anticipation. I'm totally ready to be surprised and entranced along with the rest of the world, and I totally trust the showrunners with any creative choices they've made; at least, I trust them until they prove to be untrustworthy.

“But what do you want to save time for? What are you going to do with it?”
“For work, if you love that best. For education, for beauty, for art, for pleasure. For mumblety-peg, if that's where your heart lies.”