Scullions

Administrator

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Genre

Jaz is the name of me

Post by JazTeka » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:47 pm

Oh. Hello there. My name is Jaz (pen name and I called it first so Dan can't take it), and I enjoy dabbling in the mystic arts of storytelling. I, unlike our lord and stew-maker Dan, am not a publish writer, but I did help edit his first professional story so I guess I'm a professional editor? It's going on the resume regardless.

Anywho, I write both short and long stories. My short stories tend to delve more into ideas of psychological horror and borderline magical realism whereas my longer works focus almost exclusively on fantasy. I have a penchant for writing darker fantasy as I have a background in studying criminology/criminal justice.

If I have to say who my biggest influences have been as both a reader and writer, I would have to say that Cornelia Funke, J. R.R. Tolkien, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Brandon Sanderson, Dan Brown, Mary Robinette Kowal, Edgar Allen Poe, and Dan Wells are at the top of the list. Certainly there are many more authors, but we could literally spend hours and hours going over various people that have influenced me and my writing, so I'll just stick with this list. Overall, I greatly enjoy writing and do so in much of my free time when I'm not reading or wasting my life away on Netflix. I like to think that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to editing, and I am always willing to give constructive feedback.

Is this good, Dan? Do you want more info about me? I like tacos. Also, I love dogs. Okay, that's enough.

One last thing...Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
| Yes, I know what a taco is, and yes, I will incorporate tacos into every work of fiction that I write |

Rexirl
Scullions

Administrator

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Re: Jaz is the name of me

Post by Rexirl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:35 am

Hallo, you other being sharing the Office of Steward. To complement others' writing, I greatly enjoy reading, which selfishly compels me to loudly hope you trade your Netflix for a netfix in the form of forum and right writs to be shared.

Criminal justice - how... Robin Hood. Lookin' forward to sampling deliciously tac(o)tical darkness.

danjvelker
Site Admin

Administrator

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Post by danjvelker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:05 am

JazTeka wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:47 pm
I, unlike our lord and stew-maker Dan, am not a publish writer, but I did help edit his first professional story so I guess I'm a professional editor? It's going on the resume regardless.
I'll allow it. (Not published for a few more months, though. I'll be insufferable when that does happen, but for now you may keep me humble.)

It's going to be fun to see more of the darker side of fantasy from a writer as good as you. (You wouldn't believe some of the awful dark fantasy I've read. It's like somebody read Warhammer and didn't realize that it was satire.) You know I loved me the Poe that you recommended. I forget who I was reading recently that reminded me of him. It may have been George MacDonald. You should read his book "Lilith" sometime -- I'm working through it now and it's magnificent. It's largely allegorical but it has some really neat, dark imagery. The whole book feels very 'Christian macabre', which is an aesthetic I enjoy.

You had me at, "I loves dogs." I hope someday I see that in your author bio, as literally the entire author bio. Nothing else.

Also, can confirm: this man is one heck of an editor.
“But what do you want to save time for? What are you going to do with it?”
“For work, if you love that best. For education, for beauty, for art, for pleasure. For mumblety-peg, if that's where your heart lies.”

Stewart Stigeweard
Scullions

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Post by Stewart Stigeweard » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:38 pm

I can't wait to read more of your work, Jaz of the Taco. Love me some o' your dark short stories—lovely ambiance on display in 'em.
hi

cathiss47
Scullions

Post by cathiss47 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:45 pm

Rexirl wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:35 am
Hallo, you other being sharing the Office of Steward. To complement others' writing, I greatly enjoy reading Rachat de crédit plus trésorerie, which selfishly compels me to loudly hope you trade your Netflix for a netfix in the form of forum and right writs to be shared.

Criminal justice - how... Robin Hood. Lookin' forward to sampling deliciously tac(o)tical darkness.
In any case, thank you for sharing this experience. We hope to have more soon.