Site Admin

Administrator

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Meet Daniel, Meet the Forum

Post by danjvelker » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:18 am

Welcome, friends!

My name is Daniel Welker and I'm the owner of this site. I began this forum in the hopes of starting a community, one built around a shared love for fantasy and a passion for reading it, writing it, playing it, and dreaming it. Maybe even eating it.

A little bit about me. I'm in my early twenties and live in the United States. I will soon graduate from my university with a degree in Applied Mathematics and Secondary Education, with emphases in psychology... and literature. I've been using creative writing as a hobby since about April 2017, and made my first professional sale this year (2019) in February. I am entirely self-taught, and I believe anyone can be as well. In less than a year I will likely be employed as a math teacher, though I plan to migrate to literature, and will have hopefully made at least one more professional fiction sale. Since I began writing I've known that I want it to be more than a hobby, but I also know that it won't replace my day job. Since I love teaching, that doesn't seem to be a problem. I can do both until the day I die.

I've been "foruming" for a while. Seven years ago I was active on Minecraft forums. Shortly thereafter, I became somewhat infamously responsible for the controversy surrounding early-access game StarForge. (I had way too much fun digging all those old links up.) I joined a few other short-lived forums, then found Reddit. That was fun, for a time, and served its purpose. I met plenty of interesting people, many of whom I've invited to join us here, and refined my love of fantasy alongside hundreds of thousands of other users of similar intent. But there was the rub: hundreds of thousands is... big. These weren't intimate communities where you could speak freely, they were monitored and censored; there was no diversity of opinion, and few able to discuss ideas outside of the board's zeitgeist. It was impersonal and limiting as a forum.

That's when I came up with the idea for this place. With my recent professional sale of "Lutwidge Ranch" to the highly respected e-magazine Deep Magic, I realized that I could use a website to display my work. I already basically used my social media as a blog, and I remembered my old love of the forum experience...

...and so Ye Olde Fantasy Stew was born(e).

I don't intend for this to grow big. I think growing big might even defeat the purpose I had in starting it. I hope it stays small and silly and active nonetheless. I hope you all get a chance to talk and get to know each other well. I hope friendships are made, in the way that only the internet can manage. I still have friends on my Steam account from my time in Minecraft nearly a decade ago. Some of the best friends I've made were made through those StarForge forums. Many of you I've met through Reddit and kept up with as sort of pen-pals through email.

So hop in ye olde stew with the rest of us. I can't wait to see what happens with this place!
“But what do you want to save time for? What are you going to do with it?”
“For work, if you love that best. For education, for beauty, for art, for pleasure. For mumblety-peg, if that's where your heart lies.”

Stewart Stigeweard
Scullions

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Re: Meet Daniel, Meet the Forum

Post by Stewart Stigeweard » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:53 pm

We'll make our own zeitgeist! With blackjack!
hi