For introductions and applications.
Stewart Stigeweard
Scullions

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Third Time's the Most Charming and Urbane

Post by Stewart Stigeweard » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Oh, fancy this. Fancy that. A forum. Another forum. Once rampant and multitudinous, now a dying breed in these latter Twenty-tens filled with discord and tweetings and instantly gramming and your "hilarious" aunt's book of faces—so nostalgic. So precious. Mayhaps we'll give this specimen some vivacity; it would be a shame to let the species die amid the thrumming stampede of Web 2.0's cornucopia of sterile, advertiser-friendly horrors.

Anyways, shouldn't overthink this. Overthinking leads to procrastination, and procrastination doesn't leads anywhere near more words. Sometimes more words aren't needed; a clever (jury's still out on his exact measure of "wisdom") bird once suggested I be more concise.

It'll be fun making shallow observations on forums and their life cycles, watching this interesting internet instance go from its carefree infancy to its growing pains of youth, and maybe gaining a large following, restrictive rules and grumpy natives. Or perhaps it'll remain an obtuse, tight-knit circle of curmudgeons. Or maybe it'll be delightfully diminutive and continuously charismatic forever and always. Or maybe Danny will take the money and run! I can't know for sure; I'm no professional prognosticator.

In any case, this curmudgeon's going to enjoy the fresh forum smell. Mmm, Lacquer.

Have fun, God bless, and why are you reading old forum posts?
hi

Rexirl
Scullions

Administrator

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Re: Third Time's the Most Charming and Urbane

Post by Rexirl » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Perhaps it's less a matter of time and more one of place, no? Some for brief encounters, others for deeper thought (unbound by temporality, to close this loop). At the very least, forums often make for venerable treasure troves - ruins of communities - for others to navigate.

I'm glad you're aboard, oh weard one.

danjvelker
Site Admin

Administrator

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Post by danjvelker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 am

Stewart Stigeweard wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:28 pm
Mayhaps we'll give this specimen some vivacity; it would be a shame to let the species die amid the thrumming stampede of Web 2.0's cornucopia of sterile, advertiser-friendly horrors.
Just wait until I fill the place with banner ads and pop-ups. Sure, it'll drive my whole user base away, but it's more important that I not pay the ridiculously cheap prices of web hosting through One.com (Is that advertising? Can they pay me for that? Where's my check?)

Glad to have you with us, Sir Stigeweard.
“But what do you want to save time for? What are you going to do with it?”
“For work, if you love that best. For education, for beauty, for art, for pleasure. For mumblety-peg, if that's where your heart lies.”

Stewart Stigeweard
Scullions

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Post by Stewart Stigeweard » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Rexirl wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:40 pm
Perhaps it's less a matter of time and more one of place, no? Some for brief encounters, others for deeper thought (unbound by temporality, to close this loop). At the very least, forums often make for venerable treasure troves - ruins of communities - for others to navigate.
Archive archaeology achieves amusement at absolutely agreeable amounts!
danjvelker wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 am
Just wait until I fill the place with banner ads and pop-ups. Sure, it'll drive my whole user base away, but it's more important that I not pay the ridiculously cheap prices of web hosting through One.com (Is that advertising? Can they pay me for that? Where's my check?)
I'm already anguished that you're not using premium forum software like XenForo, or using a delightfully dark theme. I mean, really, Daniel. Light text, dark background. Atmosphere.
hi