What Are You Reading?

For fantasy literature. Discuss news, reviews, blogs, etc.
danjvelker
Site Admin

Administrator

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

What Are You Reading?

Post by danjvelker » Thu May 02, 2019 10:51 am

Use this thread to:
  • Discuss what you're currently reading,
  • Ask for book recommendations,
  • Engage with what other members are reading,
  • Promote book sales or new releases.
It will remain stickied in The Library until the day of Stewmageddon, the prophesied day when thou stewpot boileth over.
“But what do you want to save time for? What are you going to do with it?”
“For work, if you love that best. For education, for beauty, for art, for pleasure. For mumblety-peg, if that's where your heart lies.”

WilliamHadley
Scullions

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Re: What Are You Reading?

Post by WilliamHadley » Fri May 03, 2019 9:28 am

I just started The Storm by Frederick Buechner, to read out of my usual tastes. He's been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize.

Other books in my basket include:

• The Children of Tokyo by Yoko Tawada
  • House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds
  • The chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
  • Burning Chrome by William Gibson
  • The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Anvil of Ice by Michael Scott Rohan

I might read one or two of these, before treating myself to Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.
Some men build houses, others build stories. Hard work. Dedication. Same satisfaction.

danjvelker
Site Admin

Administrator

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Post by danjvelker » Mon May 06, 2019 3:16 pm

I don't believe I've heard of most of those books. I'm familiar with most of the authors, of course (Gibson and Vonnegut are titans, of course) but not with the books. Are they mostly fantasy?

Right now I'm reading "To Green Angel Tower" by Tad Williams. I highly recommend the series (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn) to any fantasy fan. This is one of those series that ought to be considered "required reading" for aspiring fantasy writers or hardcore readers of the genre. It is most famous for inspiring George R.R. Martin to write A Song of Ice and Fire, a series which, though more commercially successful, is nonetheless less influential and (in my personal opinion) inferior in most ways to Tad Williams' trilogy. I'm loving the third book right now. It's very ponderous, and at about a third of the way through I'm still not sure how it's going to resolve, but it's setting up for something utterly spectacular.

It's an excellent comfort for an extremely disappointing season of Game of Thrones.
“For work, if you love that best. For education, for beauty, for art, for pleasure. For mumblety-peg, if that's where your heart lies.”

jys
Scullions

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Post by jys » Wed May 15, 2019 4:24 am

I'm currently reading The Shadow Rising (Book 4 of The Wheel of Time). I tried reading WoT over a decade ago but couldn't get past book 3. Honestly, I haven't enjoyed reading through those three books this time around as well but I'm giving WoT a chance to see what all the fuss is about.

I've recently finished reading "Never Die" by Rob J. Hayes. It's a stand-alone fantasy book set in a fictional world heavily influenced by Japanese & Chinese lore/mythology. In it, an 8 year-old boy is tasked to kill an emperor by enlisting the aid of famous heroes. The twist is that the heroes must die first before they can accompany him on his quest. The fight scenes in this book are top notch!

danjvelker
Site Admin

Administrator

Achievements

Residency

Unwashed Peasants

Post by danjvelker » Mon May 20, 2019 1:45 pm

I think the common opinion is that if you don't like it by the fourth book, you probably won't like the rest of the series. I loved it from the first book, so I suppose I was lucky. I hope you enjoy it too, but not everybody likes it and you don't have to either.

It's been a busy time for reading on my end. I've had a lot of time on my hands, and in addition to finishing "To Green Angel Tower" (book 3 of MS&T), I also re-read "Out of the Silent Planet" and "Perelandra", the first two books in the Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis. I had forgotten how radical and profound those book were, and I feel as though much of the social indictments he makes are still pretty contemporary! I read those books to warm me up for "That Hideous Strength", the conclusion to the trilogy. I tried reading it when I was about eleven and found it distasteful, but I know now that I was just too young to appreciate it. I'm reading it now, and while it's too early to form an opinion I can say with certainty that I was definitely too young to appreciate it. I'm also reading (more slowly) through Peter Beagle's "The Last Unicorn", which is a gorgeous and delightful book, although the pacing and plotting isn't quite what I'm used to. Beagle feels like the intersection of McKillip and Lewis, who are two of my favorites, so he has that going for him.